How do I get a job as a SUP instructor?
Let’s Go SUP has a great reputation for having fully qualified and totally professional SUP instructor. We expect the absolute best. It might not be easy getting a job with us, but if you think you’re the right person for our team we would love to meet you! We are always looking for good instructors and are happy to hear from people who fit our criteria which includes:
- Competent SUP skills with solid ocean and water safety knowledge.
- Positive attitude and hard worker.
- Fit , healthy and can handle working in the water in all kinds of weather conditions.
- Excellent communicator, interpersonal & presentation skills.
- Natural leader.
- Available to work weekends, do early starts, late finishes and work through the summer season.
- Previous coaching experience (not necessarily with SUP) and customer service experience appreciated.
- Willing to undertake the necessary training (see below).
What training do I need to do to be a SUP instructor?
Let’s Go SUP instructors are very fit and highly qualified and have undergone some pretty rigorous training. To become a coach you need to do a number of courses which will cost you around $700 (approximately) this investment is paid to Surfing NSW, APOLA etc and is tax deductible. Completing these courses does not guarantee you a position at Let’s Go SUP but they are a mandatory requirement for all our instructors. Generally speaking, most people who are able to satisfy the requirements of this training do get work as a SUP instructor.
All our SUP instructors must complete the following:
- A physical assessment held at the beach (demonstrating that you are able to swim, have a good level of fitness, and can SUP).
- A Surfing Australia or International Surfing Association SUP flat water
- APOLA courses OSSCA (or bronze medallion through a surf lifesaving club), Advance Resuscitation and Senior First Aid Course.
Do I have to complete all of this training before I apply for a job?
No. If we think you’ve got what it takes we will invite you to start some of your training at Let’s Go SUP under our mentor programme – once you’ve completed our application form and physical assessment and also booked in for your SUP flat water course with Surfing NSW.
Does doing the required training guarantee me a job?
No. Completing these courses does not guarantee you a position at Let’s Go SUP but they are a mandatory requirement for all our instructors. Generally speaking, most people who are able to satisfy the requirements of this training do get work as a SUP instructor.
What if I have other or overseas qualifications?
If you have completed other courses we advise you to check with Surfing Australia or International Surfing Association and check if they will grant you recognised prior learning and a coaching card without having to do further training. If not you will be required to complete the courses to gain your coaching card to work with us. All our instructors must be certified by Surfing Australia or International Surfing Association..
Where can I get more information about these training courses?
SUP flat water Course bookings
Call (+612) 93497055 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Learn more
All other courses
Contact APOLA on email@example.com
I want to work in customer service but I’m not great at SUP.
That’s cool. We’d still like to hear from you. Typically our customer service staff love the beach but that doesn’t mean you have to know how to carve up the waves. We’re more interested in people who can simultaneously make our customers feel welcome, take bookings, juggle phone calls, help our instructors get classes underway and keep smiling!
This all sounds good. What do I do next?
If you’re confident you fit our criteria, email your resume and contact us! We look forward to hearing from you.